Additional Locations for Yuri William Novitsky, MD
ColumbiaDoctors - 688 White Plains Road688 White Plains RoadScarsdale
ColumbiaDoctors - Midtown51 West 51st StreetNew York
CUIMC/Herbert Irving Pavilion161 Fort Washington AvenueFloor 5New York
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Yuri William Novitsky, MD
Dr. Novitsky is internationally known for his expertise in advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery as well complex inguinal and ventral hernia repairs. Driven by a determination to improve outcomes for the millions of patients who undergo hernia surgery each year, he has focused intensively on research to advance surgical technique and improve tissue responses to surgical mesh. He is perhaps best known for pioneering techniques for minimally-invasive ventral hernia repair and open abdominal wall reconstructions; the procedure known as transversus abdominis muscle release (TAR), which he first described in 2006, has become widely adopted worldwide since he published three-year results in 2009.
His current national leadership roles include chairmanship of the Practice Advisory Committee, Americas Hernia Society; membership on the Guidelines Committee of the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES); the Value Analysis Initiative of the SAGES Hernia Task force; American Hernias Society Board of Governors, and others.
Dr. Novitsky earned his medical degree at Albany College and completed residencies in General Surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center and University of Massachusetts, Worcester, followed by fellowships in minimally invasive surgery at University of Massachusetts and the Carolinas Medical Center. He was Chief of Laparoscopic Surgery for four years at University of Connecticut Health Center prior to his move to Cleveland in 2011.
Dr. Novitsky has received over $2 million in grants from SAGES, the National Institutes of Health, and other funders to research improvements in hernia repair and gastroesophageal reflux disease. He has published over 130 peer-reviewed journal articles and numerous book chapters. In addition to his clinical and research activities, Dr. Novitsky mentors post-doctoral students and remains actively involved in medical education.
In sharing his talents with our patients, faculty, and medical students, Dr. Novitsky will undoubtedly strengthen the Division of General Surgery in all facets of patient care, research, and education.
- Hernia Repair
- Residency: Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Residency: University of Massachusetts Medical Center
- Internship: Mount Sinai Medical Center
Titles & Positions
- Director, Comprehensive Hernia Center
- Professor of Surgery at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Bassini Prize for Best Oral Presentation American Hernia Society, 2013
- Best Doctors 2015, 2016, 2017 Cleveland Magazine
- Exhibit Advisory Council Travel Award Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, November 2005
- Gold Medal Paper Southeastern Surgical Congress, February 2005
- Honor Scholar New York University, New York, NY, May 1993
- Karl Storz Best Oral Presentation Forum European Association of Endoscopic Surgery, June 2004
- Outstanding House Officer Teaching Award Student Council, University of Massachusetts Medical School, April 2000
- Patients Choice Award, Top 5% Surgery Physician in Connecticut MDx Medical, Inc. 2008-2010
- Patients Choice Award, Top 5% Surgery Physician in Ohio MDx Medical, Inc. 2012-2016
- Phi Beta Kappa New York Chapter, May 1994
- Poster of Distinction Award Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, April 2004
- Poster of Distinction Award Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, April 2005
- Poster of Distinction Award Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, March 2003
- Resident Achievement Award Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, April 2001
- SAGES Research Grant, April 2013
- SAGES Research Grant, April 2016
- Young Investigator Award World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery, June 2008
- Young Investigator Travel Grant International Society of Digestive Surgery, November 2006