Utpal Bhagirath Pajvani, MD
Locations and Appointments
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Utpal Bhagirath Pajvani, MD
Dr. Utpal Pajvani, Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology at Columbia University, is a physician-scientist with clinical and research focus in Type 2 Diabetes and related metabolic diseases. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a degree in Biology in 1996, then earned M.S. (2001), M.D. (2005) and Ph.D. (Department of Cell Biology, 2005) degrees from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Dr. Pajvani completed his internship and residency training and is board certified in Internal Medicine (2007) and fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism (2011), both at the Columbia University Medical Center.
Dr. Pajvani has been on the faculty of Columbia University since 2011. He is a teaching attending on the inpatient and outpatient Endocrinology and General Medicine services of the New York Presbyterian Hospital, and sees patients at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University. Dr. Pajvani's research focuses on the role of developmental pathways in the regulation of Type 2 Diabetes and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, and the use of existing therapeutic agents in other scientific areas in novel applications to ameliorate obesity-induced complications including cancer. He has received intramural and NIH support for his research, and has mentored medical and graduate students as well as postdoctoral and clinical fellows.
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
Specialties & Expertise
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- ADA Travel Award (2009)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2005)
- Julius Marmur Research Award (2004)
- Keystone Symposium Travel Award (2009)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal for Math and Science (1993)
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society Award (1997)
- White House Presidential Scholar's Award (1993)