Steven Stylianos, MD
Steven Stylianos, MD
Additional Locations for Steven Stylianos, MD
CUIMC/Milstein Hospital Building177 Ft. Washington AvenueNew York
ColumbiaDoctors - 500 Grand Avenue500 Grand AvenueFloor 1Englewood
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Steven Stylianos, MD
Dr. Steven Stylianos serves Columbia University as the Rudolph N Schullinger Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics and Chief of the Division of Pediatric Surgery. He is currently the Surgeon-in-Chief of the Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital/New York Presbyterian.
A graduate of Rutgers University and the New York University School of Medicine, Dr. Stylianos completed his general surgical training at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center (now NYP/Columbia University Irving Medical Center). He subsequently spent two years as the Trauma Fellow at the Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Institute in Boston and then completed his formal pediatric surgery training at Boston Children's Hospital. Dr. Stylianos joined the faculty of Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Children's Hospital of New York in 1992. He has organized and directed the multi-disciplinary teams of physicians and nurses who have separated five sets of conjoined twins. These conjoined twins separations attracted the attention of the national media, including Dateline NBC, CBS 48 Hours and Fox News.
Throughout the years, Dr. Stylianos has served as Chairman of the Trauma Committee for the American Pediatric Surgical Association (APSA) from 1997-2002 and authored the APSA position paper supporting all measures to reduce the toll of firearm violence in children. He also served as the Co-Principal Investigator of the U.S. Department of Health, Maternal and Child Health Bureau's grant to APSA "Partnership for Development and Dissemination of Outcomes Measures for Injured Children."
Currently, Dr. Stylianos is an elected member of the Board of Governors of the American Pediatric Surgical Association, a site verification officer of the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma and serves on the American Pediatric Surgical Association Foundation's Board of Directors as Treasurer. He is also Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports, Associate Editor of the Journal of Pediatric Surgery and served on the Executive Board as a founding member of the Pediatric Trauma Society. Dr Stylianos received the prestigious American Pediatric Surgical Nurses Association's 2016 Champions Award and the American Trauma Society's 2016 NY State Trauma Medical Director of Distinction.
Dr Stylianos and his wife Joann are proud grandparents to Nico, Layla and Romy.
- Pediatric Surgery
- Biliary Atresia
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopy for chronic abdominal pain
- Neonatal Surgery
- Newborn surgical conditions
- Pectus Excavatum
- Repair of chest wall deformities
- Residency: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Internship: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Boston
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Titles & Positions
- Division Chief, Pediatric Surgery
- Rudolph N. Schullinger Professor of Pediatric Surgery at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester
Awards & Honors
- American Pediatric Surgical Nurses Association's 2016 Champions Award
- American Trauma Society's 2016 NY State Trauma Medical Director of Distinction
- New York Magazine's Top Doctors, 2012 2022