Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
About Steven L. Spitalnik, MD
Dr. Steven Spitalnik, MD is the Co-Director of the Laboratory of Transfusion Biology, which pursues NIH-funded research aimed at improving transfusion practice. Dr. Spitalnik is a Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology and the Vice-Chairman of Laboratory Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC). As the Medical Director of the Clinical laboratories on the CUMC campus of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital, he coordinates the clinical service, educational, and scholarly activities of the Division. He is a long-standing member of the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists, serving as its President in 2002-03 and, in 2005, receiving its Gerald T. Evans Award for outstanding leadership and service to the Academy. In addition to being board certified in both Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Dr. Spitalnik is a member of the Editorial Boards of Transfusion, Transfusion Medicine Reviews, and Current Opinion in Hematology, and is the lead author of Clinical Pathology Board Review.
- Blood Bank
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Transfusion Medicine
- Residency: University of Rochester
- Fellowship: University of Rochester
- Internship: University of Rochester
- Medical School: University of Chicago Pitzker School of Medicine
- Fellowship: National Institutes of Health
Titles & Positions
- Executive Vice Chair for Laboratory Medicine
- Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center