Peter A. Shapiro, MD
Peter A. Shapiro, MD
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Peter A. Shapiro, MD
Peter A. Shapiro, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University Irving Medical Center and Director of the Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Service at New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
Dr. Shapiro is a past president of the Society for Liaison Psychiatry, the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, and the American Psychosomatic Society. He has authored over 60 original peer-reviewed publications in cardiovascular disease psychiatry, psychophysiology, and consultation-liaison psychiatry. Dr. Shapiro's honors include the Dlin-Fischer Prize for Clinical Research from the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, the Bakken Prize for Contributions to Heart-Brain Medicine from the Cleveland Clinic, and the Career Award from the Society for Liaison Psychiatry. In 2019 he was named a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He is a past member of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Psychosomatic Medicine Subspecialty Examination Committee and the American Psychiatric Association Council on Psychosomatic Medicine.
In addition to teaching, administration, and research, Dr. Shapiro maintains a part-time practice in general psychiatry with a focus on patients with depression and anxiety associated with medical conditions.
- Psychosomatic Medicine
- Adult Psychiatry
- Consult/Liason Psychiatry
- Psychiatric Consultation and Evaluation
- transplant psychiatry
- Internship: Bronx Municipal Hospital Ctr, Bronx, NY
- Residency: New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
Titles & Positions
- Director, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Service, NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center
- Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Bakken Prize for Contributions to Heart-Brain Medicine from the Cleveland Clinic
- Career Award from the Society for Liaison Psychiatry
- Dlin-Fischer Prize for Clinical Research from the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine