Nir Y. Uriel, MD
Locations and Appointments
CUIMC/Presbyterian Hospital and Vanderbilt Clinic
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Nir Y. Uriel, MD
Dr. Nir Uriel, an internationally recognized leader in heart failure, mechanical circulatory support, and heart transplantation, has been named Director of Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation at NewYork-Presbyterian. Dr. Uriel will oversee heart failure programs at NewYork-Presbyterian's campuses in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Westchester, with a goal to increase accessibility of care for those with advanced heart failure throughout the New York area.
Dr. Uriel was born and raised in Israel, where he attended medical school. After serving for four years as a physician in the Israeli Defense Forces, he then completed his cardiology residency and fellowship. In 2008, he moved to New York to pursue fellowships at NewYork- Presbyterian/Columbia in cardiology, heart failure, transplant, and mechanical circulatory support and remained here as a faculty member until 2014. He then served as the Louis Block Professor of Medicine and Director of Heart Failure, Transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support at the University of Chicago Medicine, where, in 2018, he and his Chicago team made history performing two tripleorgan transplants within 27 hours.
A dedicated researcher with more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, Dr. Uriel has improved treatment protocols for patients with end-stage heart failure and has extended criteria for the use of ventricular assist devices and eligibility for transplant for high-risk patients, including those who are HIV positive. His research continues with a focus on interactions of medical devices, such as VADS, with the human body.
- Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
Specialties & Expertise
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Heart Failure
- Heart Transplantation
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Mechanical Assist Device
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Assaf Harofeh Hospital
- Internship: Assaf Harofeh Hospital
- Medical School: Ben Gurion University of the Negev
- Residency: Assaf Harofeh Hospital
Leadership, Titles & Positions
- Professor of Medicine Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians
- Professor of Medicine Weill Cornell Medicine
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center