Melissa E. Glassman, MD
Locations and Appointments
CUIMC/Presbyterian Hospital and Vanderbilt Clinic
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Melissa E. Glassman, MD
Dr. Melissa Glassman is the founder and medical director of the NYP Ambulatory Care Network's Newborn Clinic and of the NYP Outpatient Breastfeeding Support Program. Dr. Glassman established the Newborn Clinic in 2009 to provide timely outpatient follow-up visits for newborns after their discharge from the Well Baby Nurseries. The Newborn Clinic provides the first outpatient visit on day of life 3-5 for newborns with Medicaid insurance. This comprehensive visit focuses on general newborn care and education, addresses medical issues unique to this age, and provides hands-on breastfeeding education and support.
Dr. Glassman established the Outpatient Breastfeeding Support Program in 2017 in order to provide breastfeeding mothers and babies with support visits with international board certified lactation consultants (IBCLCs). The program provides both in-person and telelactation visits to help all breastfeeding dyads who need in-depth support. In 2021, Dr. Glassman developed the self-scheduling telelactation capabilities for the program in order to increase access and reduce disparities to timely outpatient breastfeeding support. Mothers of babies who are NYP/CUIMC patients or who were born at NYP/CUIMC can self-schedule in their babies' Connect portal via proxy access.
Dr. Glassman is an international board certified lactation consultant and provides in-person breastfeeding consultation appointments at the ColumbiaDoctors West Side Pediatrics office. She also works closely with breastfeeding mothers and their newborns during their visits with her in Newborn Clinic. She is passionate about breastfeeding and helping mothers reach their feeding goals, and about newborn care and supporting families during the early days at home after leaving the nursery. She is an active member of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, chairing the abstract review committee, and the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding. She is part of the NYP-Columbia Core Leadership Team of the Breastfeeding Hospital Collaborative, the NYC Department of Health-sponsored program through which the hospital is working to achieve Baby Friendly Designation.
Specialties & Expertise
- Breastfeeding Medicine
- Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
- Newborn Care
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Medical School: Yale University School of Medicine
Leadership, Titles & Positions
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
- Medical Director, Newborn Clinic, Ambulatory Care Network, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Medical Director, NYP Outpatient Breastfeeding Support Program, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital