Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Maya K. Rao, MD
Dr. Rao is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology at Columbia University, where she has been on the faculty since 2009. She is the Director of the Chronic Kidney Disease Program at Columbia. She is also currently the chief of Medicine at the Allen Hospital, part of the NYP system. Previously, she has been the medical director of several outpatient dialysis units. Her clinical interests are in pre-dialysis kidney disease. She also has an interest in caring for older adults with kidney disease, focusing on dialysis decision making and initiating a palliative approach for patients who choose to forgo dialysis for active medical management of their kidney disease. In addition, she is a member of the ColumbiaDoctors Hypertension Center, a multi-disciplinary center of excellence that provides high quality care and state-of-the-art diagnostic testing for patients with hypertension.
Dr. Rao has previously done work in health care disparities and chronic kidney disease. Her current research interests are in geriatric nephrology. She had a NIH grant to study the ideal vascular access in older adults preparing for dialysis. She currently is the site leader for a NIH funded study evaluating a tool to guide the decision making around dialysis in older and frail adults.
- Internal Medicine
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Fellowship: Oregon Health Science University Hospital
- Residency: Oregon Health Science University Hospital
- Internship: Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
Titles & Positions
- Associate Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Director of the Chronic Kidney Disease Program, Columbia University
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Donald W. Reynolds Longitudinal Scholar, Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Mt. Sinai
- Ewig Teaching Award - Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, 2015
- Family Medicine Non-Departmental Physician Teacher of the Year - 2011
- Fellow Teaching Award - given by internal medicine residents for the best teaching by a fellow, 2007
- National Kidney Foundation Research Fellowship - 2008
- Physician of the Year - NYP/Allen Hospital, 2016