Additional Locations for Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
CUIMC/Milstein Hospital Building177 Ft. Washington AvenueNew York
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein is a regionally recognized thoracic surgeon in the New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center department of surgery.Dr. Gorenstein is Associate Professor of Surgery at the Columbia University Medical Center, and a leader in the clinical management of lung cancer, esophageal cancer, benign esophageal disorders, hyperhidrosis and pectus excavatum.
Dr. Gorenstein received his MD degree at the University of Toronto Medical School, in 1983, and did his general surgery residency at the University of Toronto, Department of Surgery from 1983-1988, followed by a Fellowship at the Ontario Cancer Institute with a research focus in multi-drug resistance, from 1988-1989 .
This was followed by a fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas in Thoracic Surgery from 1989-1990, completing his Fellowship training from 1990- 1992 at the University of Toronto, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Dr. Gorenstein is a member of a number of organizations and societies including the Rockland County Medical Society, Medical Society, State of New York, New York State Thoracic Society, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Fellow, American College of Surgery, New York State Medical Society, the General Thoracic Surgery Club and the International Society of Sympathetic Surgery. He has published and authored numerous abstracts and presentations, as well as book chapters over the years in notable publications such as the Surgical Oncology Clinician, the Annals of Thoracic Surgery and the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
He has served on numerous hospital committees including tumor boards, credentialing committees and intensive care committees, and is currently Surgical Director, Minimal Access Thoracic Surgery, Director, Columbia University Hyperhidrosis Center and the Annals of Thoracic Surgery Adhoc reviewer.
Dr. Gorenstein is a noted Castle Connolly Top Doctor in Thoracic Surgery, for the past 17 years. He is also recognized as a Hudson Valley Top Doctor in thoracic surgery.
- Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal Disease
- Esophageal Surgery
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Laparoscopic Fundoplication
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Surgery
- Mediastinal Tumor
- Minimal Access Surgery-GERD
- Surgical Management of Lung Cancer
- Thorascopic Lung Surgery
- Tracheal Stenosis
- Residency: University of Toronto Hospitals
- Internship: University of Toronto Hospitals
- Fellowship: University of Toronto Hospitals
- Medical School: University of Toronto Medical School
Titles & Positions
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at CUMC
- Director, Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
- Surgical Director, Columbia University Hyperhidrosis Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Anne Shepherd Memorial Scholarship, University of Toronto, University College Award for Academic Achievement, 1979
- Canadian Association of Pediatric Surgery, ResidentAaas Prize, 1985
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors in Thoracic Surgery 2004, 2001
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area 2008
- Chappel Prize in Clinical Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Gold Medal for the highest standing in surgery in fourth year, 1983
- F.J. Collin O.B.E. Memorial Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, Awarded for high academic standing in second and third year, 1981-1982
- Hudson Valley Magazine Top Doctors 2006, 2008, 2009
- PSI Foundation Summer Scholarship, 1981
- R.I. Harris Undergraduate Award, 1982