Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
About Kristin M. Burkart, MD, MSc
Kristin M Burkart, MD, MSc is a Pulmonary and Critical Care Physician and a Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center. She is the Director of the Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship Training Program, the Medical Director of the Chest Clinic and the Course Director of the Pulmonary Section in The Body in Health and in Disease Medical School.
Dr. Burkart cares for a diverse population of patients including patients from the surrounding Washington Heights neighborhood as well as tertiary and quaternary referrals for critical care management. She attends in the medical intensive care unit, the pulmonary consultative service, the critical care consultative service, and the chronic ventilator management service and is an active member on the Ethics Committee. Dr. Burkart's clinical interests encompass hypoxemic respiratory failure including the use of Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), sepsis and medical ethics.
Dr. Burkart is a leader in fellowship training and medical education with several current and past national leadership positions. She is a Past President and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors (APCCMPD), an organization whose mission is to provide leadership and support for fellowship training programs across the country. Dr. Burkart is the Chair of the American Thoracic Society (ATS) Training Committee, Chair of the APCCMPD Education Committee and a Deputy Editor for ATS Scholar. Dr. Burkart is dedicated to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse educational and research environment for her fellows that fosters their development into compassionate and exceptional clinical physicians, clinician-educators, and physician-investigators.
Dr. Burkart graduated AOA from Albany Medical College, completed her residency and chief residency at the University of Colorado and completed her fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine. She has a Master of Science in Epidemiology from Boston University School of Public Health.
- Critical Care Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care
- General Pulmonology
- Intensive Care
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Respiratory Failure
- Residency: University of Colorado Health & Science Center
- Fellowship: Boston University Medical Center
- Medical School: Albany Medical College
Titles & Positions
- Co-Director, Columbia-Salzburg Internal Medicine Seminar
- Course Director, Pulmonary Section of The Body in Health and in Disease Medical School Course
- Director, Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship Program
- Medical Director, Chest Clinic
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Chair of the American Thoracic Society Training Committee
- Chair of the Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors Education Committee
- Deputy Editor of ATS Scholar
- Ewig Clinical Scholar
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors
- Secretary-Treasurer and Past President of the Association of