Additional Locations for John M. Karamichalis, MD
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical Center525 East 68th StreetNew York
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About John M. Karamichalis, MD
Dr. Karamichalis is an experienced pediatric heart surgeon who graduated from the University of Oxford Medical School in England and completed his Congenital Cardiac Surgery training at the University of Colorado Children's Hospital (clinical training) and Boston Children's Hospital (research training). Before joining CUIMC, he served on the faculty at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, and prior to that, the University of California San Francisco. He is certified in Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery with subspecialty certification in Congenital Cardiac Surgery. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and recipient of many awards throughout his career.
Titles & Positions
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Academic Scholarship, Oral Roberts University MBA program, 2018 - 2019.
- Commonwealth Scholarship, University of Oxford School of Medicine - Awarded by the Association of Commonwealth Universities in the UK, 1990 1993.
- Distinction in Biochemistry, Honors in Physiology, University of Manchester School of Medicine, 1989.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), 2013.
- Holborn Goulborn Holt Scholarship and Special Exhibition in Medicine, University of Manchester School of Medicine, 1989 1990.
- Quest Whole Person Scholarship, Oral Roberts University MBA Program, 2018 - 2019.
- Recognized among Top Doctors in Memphis in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd list of Top Doctors, Memphis Magazine, July 2020.
- Recognized among Top Doctors in Oklahoma in Cardiothoracic Surgery (chosen by peers), Castle Connolly Medical Ltd list of Top Doctors, Oklahoma Magazine June 2005, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Sir Geoffrey Hill Spray Prize in Clinical Biochemistry, University of Oxford, 1991.
- STS Advocacy Scholarship Recipient to attend the 2019 Legislative Fly-in Washington, DC, July 15-16, 2019.