Additional Locations for Joel Stein, M.D.
Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical Center525 East 68th Street16th FloorNew York
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Joel Stein, M.D.
Physiatrist-in-Chief and Chairman
Dr. Stein obtained his undergraduate degree from Columbia University, and his MD from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, followed by a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Stein was a member of the medical staff at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston for 16 years, where he served as Chief Medical Officer from 2000 onward, and was the medical director of the stroke rehabilitation program. He also served as a member of the faculty at Harvard Medical School.
In September 2008, Dr. Stein was appointed Physiatrist-in-Chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, as well as Professor and Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Stein's clinical and research interests are in the area of stroke rehabilitation. He has had a particular focus on the use of exercise as a treatment, and on the use of robotic and other technologies to facilitate recovery of motor function after stroke. He has authored or coauthored two books on stroke recovery and rehabilitation for stroke survivors and their families, and edited a multi-authored medical textbook on this subject entitled "Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation."
- Internal Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Internship: Montefiore Medical Center
- Residency: Montefiore Medical Center
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Residency: Montefiore / Montefiore Hospital
Titles & Positions
- Chair, Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine
- Professor of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester