Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
About Jeremy R. Beitler, MD, MPH
Dr. Jeremy Beitler is a pulmonary intensivist and Director of Clinical Research for the Center for Acute Respiratory Failure at Columbia University. Clinically, he cares for patients admitted to the medical intensive care units (MICUs) at New York-Presbyterian Hospital / Columbia University Medical Center. His NIH-funded research program focuses on optimizing mechanical ventilatory support for patients with acute respiratory failure, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
ARDS occurs in up to one-quarter of all critically ill adults receiving mechanical ventilation. Despite considerable advances in understanding of disease pathogenesis, ARDS remains associated with high risk of death—up to 45% mortality for severe disease. The most effective proven therapy for ARDS is to limit the degree of lung stretch with each machine-supported breath. Yet, how best to personalize ventilatory support to each individual patient's unique risk of lung injury is unclear. Dr. Beitler's research seeks to address this gap by advancing understanding of the interaction between pulmonary biomechanics and lung biology. He uses advanced techniques such as esophageal manometry, electrical impedance tomography, and airway waveform analysis to quantify lung mechanics at bedside. These measures are paired with biological samples to identify dose-response between lung stretch and biological injury.
Dr. Beitler would like to express his gratitude to the many patients and families who have advanced this research by participating in clinical studies. He sincerely believes your essential support ultimately will help improve survival and decrease morbidity for patients suffering from acute respiratory failure.
- Critical Care Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Cardiac Arrest
- Critical Care
- Intensive Care
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Respiratory Failure
- Fellowship: Massachuetts General Hospital
- Medical School: New York University School of Medicine
- Residency: New York University Langone Medical Center
Titles & Positions
- Assistant Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Director of Clinical Research, Center for Acute Respiratory Failure
- Director of Columbia Respiratory Critical Care Trials Group
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- 2008 Award for Outstanding Community Service, Medical Society of the State of New York
- 2010 Postgraduate Research Award, New York University Department of Medicine
- 2013 Fellow Teaching Award, Brigham & Womens Hospital Residency
- 2016 Faculty Teaching Award, University of California San Diego Medicine Residency
- 2018 Carmel Research Excellence Prize, Western Region, American Federation for Medical Research
- 2018 Faculty Teaching Award, University of California San Diego Medicine Chief Resident Selection