Darrell J. Yamashiro, MD
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Book an Appointment Today
CALL TO SCHEDULE TODAY
CONNECT PATIENT PORTAL
About Darrell J. Yamashiro, MD
I am a pediatric oncologist who specializes in caring for children with solid tumors, especially neuroblastoma, Wilms' and other kidney tumors, and liver tumors such hepatoblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma. I serve as chief of the Division of Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation at Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital.
I treat children of all ages, from infants to young adults. Some of the cancers I treat are rare (liver tumors account for one to two percent of childhood cancers), but they can be very complex and require a multidisciplinary approach so patients have the best outcomes. I enjoy working as part of a team of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, child life specialists, and other dedicated professionals who care deeply about our patients and provide care with compassion and comfort.
I also conduct basic science research. The latest advances in tumor genetics and the design of innovative therapies make this a very exciting time for cancer research. My team and I have done extensive research on the genetics of hepatoblastoma. We have developed mouse models of this disease and are entering a new phase where we are offering a personalized/precision medicine approach to children with this disease. We are also identifying novel genes that specifically target neuroblastoma—information that may be used to create targeted therapies.
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Pediatric Liver Cancer
- Pediatric Solid Tumors
- Wilm's Tumor
- Residency: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Internship: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Titles & Positions
- Chief, Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Stem Cell Transplantation
- Robert and Ellen Kapito Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Columbia University Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital