Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Darrell J. Yamashiro, MD
I am a pediatric oncologist who specializes in caring for children with solid tumors, especially neuroblastoma, Wilms' and other kidney tumors, and liver tumors such hepatoblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma. I serve as chief of the Division of Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation at Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital.
I treat children of all ages, from infants to young adults. Some of the cancers I treat are rare (liver tumors account for one to two percent of childhood cancers), but they can be very complex and require a multidisciplinary approach so patients have the best outcomes. I enjoy working as part of a team of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, child life specialists, and other dedicated professionals who care deeply about our patients and provide care with compassion and comfort.
I also conduct basic science research. The latest advances in tumor genetics and the design of innovative therapies make this a very exciting time for cancer research. My team and I have done extensive research on the genetics of hepatoblastoma. We have developed mouse models of this disease and are entering a new phase where we are offering a personalized/precision medicine approach to children with this disease. We are also identifying novel genes that specifically target neuroblastoma—information that may be used to create targeted therapies.
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Pediatric Liver Cancer
- Pediatric Solid Tumors
- Wilm's Tumor
- Residency: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Internship: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Titles & Positions
- Chief, Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Stem Cell Transplantation
- Robert and Ellen Kapito Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Columbia University Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital