Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Schedule an Appointment
Call To Schedule Today
Connect Patient Portal
About Carrie B. Ruzal-Shapiro, MD
Dr. Carrie B Ruzal-Shapiro is a passionate clinician-educator. Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro introduced radiology to the first, second, and third-year medical curriculum in 1992. She has precepted over 100 medical students in her fourth-year pediatric radiology elective. In 2002, the graduating class of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons elected her teacher of the year. Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro served as program director of the Radiology Residency as well as the Pediatric Radiology Fellowship. In 1995 she won the radiology residents' Teacher of the Year award. In 2014, she won the Haller Award for Teaching Excellence from the Society of Pediatric Radiology; this award is granted yearly to that individual who has demonstrated evidence of outstanding ability to educate trainees (medical student, resident, and fellow) and who has shown sustained substantial excellence in mentorship skills.
Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro's primary focus is the clinical practice of pediatric radiology. She is an active fluoroscopist and participant in the interpretation of all imaging modalities related to pediatric radiology. Her insight and collaboration with her clinical colleagues shows how the radiologist can truly impact patient care.
Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro's research interests are wide. Most recently she has been interested in radiation dose reduction and abdominal imaging, demonstrating how MRI can be substituted for CT in the evaluation of children with abdominal pain.
As a member of the Department of Radiology's Diversity Committee, Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro has been actively striving to improve the environment for women in radiology and at Columbia University. She is a founding member ofWomen in Medicine, Columbia University Irving Medical Center(Virginia Kneeland Frantz Society), founder and leader of Women in Radiology at CUIMC, and she served on theDean's Advisory Committee on the status of women at CUIMC in 2018.
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Pediatric Radiology
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical C
Titles & Positions
- Chief, Division of Pediatric Radiology
- Professor of Radiology at CUMC
- Vice Chair of Faculty Mentoring and Development
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Awards & Honors
- AMWA Distinguished Female Faculty Award - Nominee Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons 2003
- Attending of the Year Nominee Department of Pediatrics Childrens Hospital of New York 2003, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Jack O. Haller Award for Excellence in Teaching Society of Pediatric Radiology 2014
- Teacher of the Year Department Radiology, CPMC 1995
- The American College of Medical Physics RIT Award for excellence for the JACMP best medical imaging Article in 2005
- The Distinguished Teacher Award, College of Physicians and Surgeons 2002
- Woman Physician of the Year Nominee, CPMC 1998
- Women in Medicine Leadership Program Columbia University Medical Center 2010