Carrie B. Ruzal-Shapiro, MD
Locations and Appointments
CUIMC/NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Carrie B. Ruzal-Shapiro, MD
Dr. Carrie Ruzal-Shapiro is a passionate clinician-educator. She introduced radiology to the first, second, and third-year medical curriculum at Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1992. She has precepted over 100 medical students in her fourth-year pediatric radiology elective and has served as program director of the Radiology Residency as well as the Pediatric Radiology Fellowship. In 2002, Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro was elected teacher of the year by the graduating medical school class. In 1995 she won the radiology residents' Teacher of the Year Award. In 2014, she won the Haller Award for Teaching Excellence from the Society of Pediatric Radiology; this award is granted yearly to an individual who has demonstrated evidence of outstanding ability to educate trainees (medical student, resident, and fellow) and who has shown sustained substantial excellence in mentorship skills.
Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro's primary focus is the clinical practice of pediatric radiology. She is an active fluoroscopist and participant in the interpretation of all imaging modalities related to pediatric radiology. Her insight and collaboration with her clinical colleagues shows how the radiologist can truly impact patient care.
Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro's research interests are wide. Most recently she has been interested in radiation dose reduction and abdominal imaging, demonstrating how MRI can be substituted for CT in the evaluation of children with abdominal pain.
As a member of the Department of Radiology's Diversity Committee, Dr. Ruzal-Shapiro has been actively striving to improve the environment for women in radiology and at Columbia University. She is a founding member of the Virginia Kneeland Frantz Society for Women Faculty at CUIMC, founder and leader of Women in Radiology at CUIMC, and she served on the Dean's Advisory Committee on the status of women at CUIMC in 2018.
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Pediatric Radiology
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical C
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester
Awards & Honors
- AMWA Distinguished Female Faculty Award - Nominee Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons 2003
- Attending of the Year Nominee Department of Pediatrics Childrens Hospital of New York 2003, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Jack O. Haller Award for Excellence in Teaching Society of Pediatric Radiology 2014
- Teacher of the Year Department Radiology, CPMC 1995
- The American College of Medical Physics RIT Award for excellence for the JACMP best medical imaging Article in 2005
- The Distinguished Teacher Award, College of Physicians and Surgeons 2002
- Woman Physician of the Year Nominee, CPMC 1998
- Women in Medicine Leadership Program Columbia University Medical Center 2010