Bo Shen, MD
Locations and Appointments
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Bo Shen, MD
Bo Shen, MD, is one of the world's pre-eminent leaders in interventional inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and pouch-related disordersdue to his specialized expertise and experience treating a wide range of these conditions. Dr. Shen is the director of the IBD Center at Columbia and co-director of Columbia's Global Center for Integrated Colorectal Surgery and IBD Interventional Endoscopy. He is also the Vice Chair for Innovation in Medicine and Surgery and a Professor of Medicine (in Surgery) and Edelman-Jarislowsky Professor in Surgical Sciences.
In addition to pouchitis and pouch diseases, Dr. Shen specializes in critical diagnostic evaluation, and medical and endoscopic management of IBD, GI endoscopy and imaging technology. Dr. Shen is known as a pioneer in interventional endoscopic therapy for IBD and ileal pouch disorders - this includes postponing or eliminating the need for surgery in some cases.
Dr. Shen comes to Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian from the Cleveland Clinic, where he served as medical director for the Center of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases and the Ed and Joey Story Endowed Chair, Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute. While there, Dr. Shen established a subspecialty Pouchitis Clinic and Interventional IBD Unite - the first and largest of its kind in the United States. He also created an IBD Board, modeled after oncology tumor boards, to help manage the most challenging cases with multiple specialists.
A prolific researcher in the field with more than 600 peer-reviewed articles, Dr. Shen is funded by a number of government and philanthropic organizations, including the NIH, the American Gastroenterological Association, American College of Gastroenterology, the Broad Foundation, and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.
Watch Video Profile
Specialties & Expertise
- Crohn's Disease
- Endoscopic Pouch Procedures
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Interventional Endoscopy
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Pouch Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Medical School: Nantong University
- Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- Founder and Chair, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy- Special Interest Group in Interventional Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2018
- Founder, Global Interventional Inflammatory Bowel Disease Group, 2018
- Founder: the International Ileal Pouch Consortium
- Physician of the Year, Department of Gastroenterology/Hepatology/Nutrition, Cleveland Clinic, 2007
- Premier Physician Award, Crohns & Colitis Foundation of America Northeast Ohio Chapter, 2008
- The outstanding PA/MD Team Award, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. 2015