Avesh Thuluvath, MD
Locations and Appointments
Please contact the doctor's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
About Avesh Thuluvath, MD
Dr. Avesh J. Thuluvath is a transplant hepatologist and physician-scientist with expertise in caring for patients with liver disease. Dr. Thuluvath specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of viral hepatitis, metabolic dysfunction-associated steatotic liver disease, alcohol-associated liver disease and autoimmune liver diseases. He has additional expertise in the care of patients before and after liver transplantation. Dr. Thuluvath's clinical practice is centered on delivering high quality, personalized and patient-centered care for those with liver disease.
Prior to joining the faculty at Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. Thuluvath completed his Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology training at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. His additional research training includes an NIH post-doctoral fellowship in liver transplant outcomes research and a Masters in Clinical Investigation.
Dr. Thuluvath's research focuses on further elucidating the pathophysiology of frailty and sarcopenia in cirrhosis, with the ultimate goal of developing patient-centered interventions to optimize physical conditioning before liver transplantation.
- Medical School: Northwestern University
- Residency: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Fellowship: Northwestern University
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
Awards & Honors
- AASLD Emerging Liver Scholars Award, 2017
- Honors Program in Medical Education (HPME), 2008-2016
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Gastroenterology and Hepatology Scholar, 2017-2018
- Johns Hopkins Golden Heart, 2018